The 7 Principles of Spiritualism
The philosophical structure of Spiritualism centres on the Seven Principles, which provide guidelines and a solid foundation to follow for life in the physical existence.
We as Spiritualists, endeavour in our lives to hold and live to these Principles that our Religion, Science, and Philosophy has as its base.
These principles are as follows:
- The Creative Divine Spirit of the universe whom we call God
- Unity of all created beings
- Communion of spirits and ministering guides
- Continuous existence of life beyond the veil of death
- Communication between incarnate and discarnate spirits
- Personal responsibility for all our actions on earth
- A path of eternal progress open to all souls
The Principles Explained:
1. The Creative Divine Spirit of the Universe Whose We Call God
No matter whether we refer to God, Divine Spirit, Supreme Intelligence etc, we accept that there is a force greater than ourselves in control and this spirit is in all of us, and all of life.
2. The Unity of All Created Beings
We have a responsibility to safeguard, nourish, and protect all life forms on this planet, as we are all interdependent and an integral part of the Creator’s great plan.
3. The Communion of Spirits and Ministering Guides
Within Spiritualism, our knowledge, healing and clairvoyant connections come through our guides and helpers. Angelic beings also link with the earth to help the planet and all humanity to evolve and develop.
4. The Continuous Existence of Life Beyond the Veil Of Death
The soul is the vehicle for the spirit and transports it to the higher realms where progression is made towards the light of totality and peace.
Messages from those in spirit reassure those on the physical plane, that they are no longer restricted by the limitations of the physical body but are once again whole and are watching over us. Their reassurance is important for our acceptance of their departure from the physical.
5. Communication Between Incarnate and Discarnate Spirits
Communication from the world of Spirit is made in numerous ways of mediumship, including mental mediumship, direct voice, table tipping, automatic writing and trance. Loved ones also make their presence known in our everyday lives to let us know that they are still with us such as interference through electrical devices, hearing voices talking to us and more.
6. Personal Responsibility for All Our Actions on Earth
We are all responsible for our own thoughts, words and deeds which have an impact on our physical lives here and now and had a direct influence on our ongoing spiritual growth.
7. A Path of Eternal Progress Open to All Souls
Spiritualists recognise that all life has the capacity to evolve. According to well-known Spirit Guide Sliver Birch,
The path of progress is an eternal one and through all ages man will continue to walk that path, shedding and discarding the grosser elements of his being, and allowing the more spiritual qualities of his inner self to find a fuller, richer expression.